Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'd rather be dead than let that other guy get in my lane. -Old Utahn proverb













If you aren't familiar with the freeway system near Salt Lake, watch the scene from Armageddon where they're on the asteroid. Everyone is going way too fast to control themselves, more than half the people involved are probably going to be dead, and there's no way of leaving until something explodes. Plus, if Ben Affleck were there, he'd probably cry.

I'm also pretty sure it was filmed there on location.

My jobs call for using this brilliantly constructed and even more-so brilliantly utilized cluster-f[***] of a freeway at least 3 times a week. Those 3 times involve a 40-minute commute, I should mention. I've had more near-death experiences today than half the cast of Ice Road Truckers collectively.

My favorite part of the day was this little lesson. Apparently its perfectly legal for a semi pulling two trailers to merge into my lane without signaling while I'm beside it. Then what does this guy do? Flag me on to "go around!!" Great idea, except even when these people see I've nearly been be-headed by a Peterbilt, they see that as just another delay in their schedule and choose to speed up next to me. This sort of thing makes me doubt Darwinism. Natural selection should have taken care of these sons o' bitches generations ago.

No comments: